Quiet Mumblings

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Applications on a USB Memory Stick

USB DriveIf you work offsite a lot you can sometimes find yourself in need of a vital application that you have on your work PC, but isn't on the one you are working on. If you're especially unlucky, that PC might not even be connected to the internet. I found myself in that situation last week, and so have put a load of my favourite apps on a flash memory drive. To help you decide, Wikipedia has a list of software that runs directly from your flashdisk. My personal collection is gVim, FileZilla, KeePass, PuTTY, WinSCP and ZipGenius. ZipGenius isn't portable but has to be the finest freeware zip program ever, so deserves inclusion!

Technorati tags:

3 Comments:

  • Do you use any bookmark management tool?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 pm  

  • ZipGenius is going to have a portable version: it's almost done and it will come out in a couple of days.

    Also, if you need a whole collection of free software that has been optimized to run from a USB Pen-Drive, don't miss the WinInizio Pensuite at http://pensuite.wininizio.it

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:01 pm  

  • Hi both of you. Thanks for the question, Alexander - I don't unfortunately. Although I would like a good one! :-) If you come across one, let me know.

    Matteo - thanks so much for your post! Really appreciate all of the hard work you've put into the ZipGenius software. Its one of the first things I ever install on a computer. I'm looking forward to the portable version! :-D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home